- God loves you (John 3:16)
- God is holy and just. He punishes all evil and expels it from his presence. (Romans 1:18)
- God, who created everything, made us for himself to find our purpose in fellowship with him. (Colossians 1:16).
- But we rebelled and turned away from God (Isaiah 53:6) all of us (Romans 3:23). The result is separation from God (Isaiah 59:2). The penalty is eternal death (Romans 6:23).
- God became man in the person of Jesus Christ to restore the broken relationship (Colossians 1:19 -20a).
- Christ died as a substitute for us by paying the death penalty for our rebellion (Romans 5:8).
- God raised Him from the dead giving us the freedom to live differently now and forever in relationship with Him. (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).
- I must repent for my rebellion (Matthew 4:17)
- I must believe Christ died to provide forgiveness and a new life in fellowship with God (John 1:12).
- I must receive Christ as my Saviour and Lord with the intent to obey Him. I do this in prayer by inviting Him into my life (Revelation 3:20).
AND SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENS WHEN WE BECOME CHRISTIANS (Acts 2:38)
THE HOLY SPIRIT
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
- He is God [Genesis 1]
- He is the same person as Jesus [John 14:16-18]
WHY IS THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVEN?
- He relates us to God and to other people
- He empowers us to change [John 16:8, John 3:5, Galatians 5:22]
- and to witness / serve God [Acts 1:8]
- Gifts and fruit (ability and character) [1 Corinthians 12; Romans 12; Ephesians 4]
HOW DID IT HAPPEN IN THE BIBLE?
The Old Testament
The New Testament
Jesus Himself was filled (Luke 3)
Jesus about to go away (John 14)
Having previously promised (John 7:39)
And offered (John 20:22)
And again (Acts 1:8)
Then it happened (Acts 2)
And promised to all (Acts 2:38)
Then Philip in Samaria
Followed by Peter and John : Acts 8
Paul and Ananias : Acts 9
Peter and Cornelius : Acts 10
Paul in Ephesus : Acts 19
Then the letters :
Romans 1-5: Justification by faith
Romans 6-7: Struggle
Romans 8: “The law of the Spirit”
Galatians 5:25 1 Corinthians 6 & 12, 13
Ephesians: Holy Spirit