Blessings of the new year to you and your loved ones, can you believe we’re already into February. I believe we’re in for an extremely exciting, and possibly at times challenging, year ahead. The Lord has promised to be with us, not only now but to the end of times. We can face the year with all it will bring us knowing that we are not alone. I’d like to share with you just some of the things that are coming up.
Firstly the Church Council has resolved at its recent extra ordinary meeting:
- To make an assessment of the ministerial requirements of St Mungo’s. This process will take into consideration the current ministerial positions and the vision of St Mungo’s for the next ten years (as identified by the 2004 Strategic Plan and the 2010 Making an Impact Programme).
- To form a search committee to start the process for the search of a third minister.
- A special meeting of the Congregation will be convened soon to elect the Search Committee which shall be fully representative of the membership of the Church.
- The Church Council has further resolved to meet every Monday until the Search Committee is in place.
Leading up to Easter, we will be participating in the Easter Experience Programme that commences on 22 February with an Ash Wednesday service in the Church at 7pm. One aspect of the Easter Experience Programme is the daily devotions which we will prepare, for you to reflect on during the season of Lent as we prepare corporately and individually for Easter.
The second aspect of the Programme is the Easter Experience Course that will be held here each Wednesday during Lent. We will meet in the Church for prayer, worship and teaching. Thereafter we’ll break up into smaller groups and discuss the teaching. We would love you to join us on the journey of discovering, if what happened then changes everything now. There are two sessions available to you on a Wednesday: one at 10am or one at 7pm. Please contact Lisa in the Church office if you would like to sign up to be a part of this exciting church-wide programme
On Wednesday 25 Jan excavations were done as part of the geotechnical test. A report will be given to the Building Committee shortly.
•Structural engineering diagrams to be completed by end February
•The Quantity Surveyor will then generate a Bill of Quantities by end March
•The project will be put out to tender during April with a view to the tender being awarded and building commencing during May.
We have pledges to the value of R4.9m and have received R3.6m to date, with the balance being paid over the next two years. Thank you to all who have contributed so regularly and faithfully.
- There is a Steering Committee that meets regularly to discuss the way forward and follow up on action items, with the necessary sub-committees being formed as we move forward in the process.
- A Logistics Planning team will be formed shortly to discuss the sequencing of the building operations (which sections to build in which order for example). They will oversee the day to day operations once the building starts as well as plan for the next section to ensure that the project runs smoothly and with a little interruption and inconvenience as is realistically possible. They will also communicate to the congregation and others who make use of our facilities on a regular basis to notify all concerned of developments.
In conclusion, Peter tells us: “Don’t put it off (2 Peter 1: 3-11) Everything that goes into a life of pleasing God has been miraculously given to us by getting to know, personally and intimately, the One who invited us to God. The best invitation we ever received! We were also given absolutely terrific promises to pass on to you—your tickets to participation in the life of God after you turned your back on a world corrupted by lust. So don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. With these qualities active and growing in your lives, no grass will grow under your feet, no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus. Without these qualities you can’t see what’s right before you, oblivious that your old sinful life has been wiped off the books. So, friends, confirm God’s invitation to you, his choice of you. Don’t put it off; do it now. Do this, and you’ll have your life on a firm footing, the streets paved and the way wide open into the eternal kingdom of our Master and Saviour, Jesus Christ”